- Ruth Harrison
- Will Newman
- Angela Wilkinson
- Catherine Mills
- Charlotte Hodgson
- Frances Hall
- Ruth Gordon
- Stephen Booth
- Blythe Aimson
First meetingBuxton Reading Detectives had their first meeting last night from 6.30 - 8.30 pm at Buxton Library. 10 young people, drawn from Buxton Book Pushers and HeadSpace regulars, attended the meeting. The start was slightly delayed because we had the County Council photographer taking press pictures (with magnifying glasses and old books).
We had a lively meeting with an icebreaker prepared by Jen Edgar (our co opted literature consultant) where we had to ask each other to find the answers to 10 questions about the locality. Some young people were spookily good at this!
We were delighted to welcome author Stephen Booth to the meeting who had everyone spellbound, and in fits of laughter, with his descriptions of local legends and his research experiences. We then had a fabulous slide show from Ruth Gordon, our local studies librarian, combining written extracts and images of the area, before plunging into the resources she brought.
Group have taken away books to read and we are hoping to meet up next Thursday evening at 8pm outside Buxton Opera House for a guided ghost walk round Buxton. Spooky.
Thanks everyone for all the work that went into preparing the evening and looking forward to some great discoveries. Next meeting will be on 11th August, 6.30 - 8.30pm at Buxton Library
24 July 2009 from Will Newman
- The lost villages of Derwent and Ashopton
- Fludd by Hilary Mantell
- A Beautiful Place for a Murder
- Jeannie of White Peak Farm
- Unrest of their Time
- Derbyshire wins the Booker Prize!
- John Buxton Hilton: Rescue from the Rose
- The Mermaid poem by Henry Kirke
- Poems of Peak and Dale
- Poole's Cavern, Buxton
- In Place of Execution....
- Scared to live
- The Jane Eyre Connection
- Haunted Derbyshire and the Peak District
- Narnia in the Peak District?
- The Wonders of the Peake...
- Night Angels: a scary episode on the Snake Pass
- Blue John
- Buxton under the crust.....
- Mysterious Mermaid in Derbyshire
- Ghost walks
- The poet and the pool.....
- More murder in the Peak District
- Inspired by the Peak
- Bygone Derbyshire clues
- Reading Detectives film
- Derbyshire Reading Detectives finale
- Reading Detectives in the News
- Buxton Ghost Walk
- Days at the Museum
- Stephen Booth
- Ghostwalkers in Buxton
- First meeting
Help the team
Have you got something to contribute? You can contact us to report your clues and you can comment on our blog posts. It doesn't matter where in the world you are!